Pages

Sunday, January 12, 2014

A Christmas Story

We celebrated Christmas on Christmas Eve, which wasn't unusual for me at all, considering I have celebrated on Christmas Eve for sixteen years before coming to Germany.  Here, Christmas Eve is called Heiligabend, which literally means holy evening.  Christmas is actually played out in a three-day fest in Germany, but the two days after Christmas Eve, from what I saw, are more for relaxing with family.

On Christmas Eve, we sang in two different church services and opened presents in between the two.  The Christmas Tree was decorated in ornaments and real candles!  I received two hats, a scarf, a book entitled "How to be German," Anne Frank's Diary in German, a mug, recipe book with a few recipes already written inside, a coupon for the movies, some chocolate, face wash, and socks.  We had a nice dinner and then went back to church to sing Hark the Herald Angels Sing.

I had a really nice Christmas with my host family!

Oh Tannenbaum Oh Tannenbaum

Lina enjoying her cookie cook book for dogs

Tree Candle




Leonie, Kerstin, and I

No comments:

Post a Comment